People over profit: An economic democracy is an economy that subordinates profit to people, not the other way around.
Stakeholders over shareholders: An economic democracy is an economic system in which the voices, rights, and interests of all economic stakeholders — including employees, stockholders, communities, ecosystems, other species and future generations — are represented. Unlike our current economy where shareholders are given primacy, in an economic democracy no one stakeholder is granted a disproportionate degree of power and privilege.
Better not bigger: In order to reorient the economy towards people and all stakeholders, we have to release it from the captivity of profit. In an economy geared towards GDP growth, the bottom line is the bottom line, and protecting it means suppressing wages, slashing payrolls, passing on costs to other people, other places, and other times. Most importantly, our economy has outgrown the physical limits of the planet, and saving civilization means stopping growth. A democratic economy should be a steady-state economy where existing wealth is distributed fairly, and where economic health is measured by true indicators of social welfare rather than the blunt and archaic tool of GDP. The Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy is a useful resource for steady-state solutions.
Main Street not Wall Street : The design of our financial system undermines true markets and productive community-based enterprises in favor of reckless speculation. It is designed to suck wealth away from communities and towards the corporate elite. A good blueprint here is the New Economy Working Group’s report How to Liberate America from Wall Street Rule.
One employee, one vote: An economic democracy is an economy where companies are built around the concept of one worker, one vote. In an economic democracy a company is a community of employees, where the employees, as full citizens of that community and the true source of company profit, decide how to invest that profit in the community. In this way, an economic democracy is distinct from both capitalism and socialism — both variations of economic oligarchy — where private boards on the one hand and public bureaucrats on the other decide how the profits workers generate are disposed of.
Economic Constitutionalism: In the United States Constitution the framers properly defined the powers and limits to the powers of the powerful institutions that govern our society. In an age where corporations have become as powerful as any institution of government, and have amassed undue influence over the policies of those institutions, their powers need to be defined and constitutionally limited just like any institution of government.
- arsvitaest likes this
- atompowers likes this
- jjarichardson reblogged this from azspot
- ashleymaeolsen likes this
- pearlfectchassi reblogged this from hairtrending
- pearlfectchassi likes this
- aaa2zee reblogged this from hairtrending
- hairtrending reblogged this from azspot
- somnambulancechaser likes this
- thecypherstones likes this
- whateverthegoodlife likes this
- cadaverous reblogged this from azspot
- cadaverous likes this
- tulipsbluelips likes this
- pavlovsstepson reblogged this from azspot
- overinflate likes this
- retrocampaigns likes this
- philosophica-dea reblogged this from azspot
- astralsource likes this
- shreddedskin likes this
- maeths likes this
- monkeyairplane reblogged this from azspot and added:
- gnosisphoenix reblogged this from deus--ex-machina
- gnosisphoenix likes this
- jinxasaurus likes this
- satoripart1 likes this
- vipers5 reblogged this from azspot
- psychedelicmandala likes this
- jezebellash reblogged this from deus--ex-machina and added:
- pipeschapman likes this
- ostolero likes this
- jezebellash likes this
- wateringgoodseeds likes this
- themiserydictionary likes this
- ancora-imparo likes this
- slicesofawesome likes this
- anxietyblogger likes this
- m-x likes this
- noinvinciblearmies likes this
- indianajosh likes this
- dimplevjk likes this
- kileyrae likes this
- azspot posted this